There was an American Legion Post 20 meeting called for January, 1941, to discuss the future of organized baseball in Union City. Specifically the question was "would the American Legion continue to sponsor the team, would it be turned over to another city group, or would the franchise be returned to the league". The problem was one of money.

The American Legion had been the sponsor of the Union City team since it went into the league in 1935. However the Legion had largely turned control over to the baseball committee consisting of ten individuals. These men had managed the team and also taken financial responsibility for the success of the team. As it turned out, there were usually deficits at the end of the season that had been absorbed by the committee members in each of the six years of play. This was the first time this information had been made public. According to the records each committeeman had been out between $150-200 for the privilege of serving. In 1941 they indicated a reluctance to continue in this mode. The Legion indicated it would like to see the team return, but not have the financial responsibility rest on a few. The committee was composed of Cecil Moss, John Semones, J. H. White, W. T. Wirt, Fred Nailling, Morgan Sedberry, A. R. Treadway, W. T. Witherington, R. E. Rankin, and T. E. Parks. A public mass meeting was called at the circuit court room of the court house to invite interested people to help find a way to keep baseball in Union City.

It was decided there would be a drive to raise $1500 cash as working capital to start the season. Another committee was formed to solicit contributions from potential donors. While it was initially believed this would be accomplished with little effort, it became a considerable task. At the midnight hour the committee had raised only $581 with another $75 in pledges. The newly appointed baseball committee would not accept financial responsibility under such conditions. It appeared baseball would not be played in Union City in 1941. However a last ditch effort raised the money and the American Legion agreed to continue sponsorship. The Baseball committee was expanded to include the following men: Moss, Rankin, Wirt, Witherington, Semones, Phil Morson, William Thweatt, Garrett Pruett, Dr. R. G. Latimer, J. T. Carney, Vernon Verhine, Dolus Roberts, Buck Hefley, Claude Greer, A. A. Thompson, Ed Critchlow, Cecil Stone, O. C. Nichols, and C. B. Verhine. Moss was re-elected president, Johnny Semones was secretary/treasurer, and William Threatt served as business manager. All were members of the American Legion. Addition help was given by the city through a refund of $250 charged for park rental in 1940, and a promise of rent free usage in 1941.

There was a continuing contract with the St. Louis Cardinals as a farm team. Charlie Martin was selected as manager again. He would be attending spring training with other Cardinal minor league teams in Albany, Georgia. The Greyhounds were due in Union City on April 28.

The 1941 roster included pitchers, Dutch Muehler, Don "Lefty" Bakkelund, Johnny Herr, Al Somerer, Floyd Fisher, Del Yount, Medrick Burns, and "Susy" Susary; outfielders, Sidney Ray, John Ragan, Fred Dickman, and Al Schwartzman; first baseman, Homer Johnston, second baseman, Bill Smith, third baseman Al Rotermund, shortstop, Jack Bankead, and catchers Walt Wrona and manager Charlie Martin. Ray, Schwartzman, Johnston, Wrona, and Fisher were returnees from 1940. Johnston had played sparingly because of a bean ball injury early in the 1940 season. The Greyhounds lost the opener at Jackson by a 4-2 score. They lost the opener at home against the same Generals team 5-3, as Jess Webb struck out 17 batters.. Only 450 fans attended the opener in Turner Field. At the end of May the Hounds were in sixth place with a record of 10-12. Jackson was leading the field. W. A. Dungan, owner of a local radio and electric company on East Church Street, bought out the park for a game in early June. There were 3500 fans who showed up as his guests, and watched the Union City team beat Paducah 5-1.

As July began Jackson continued to lead the league by a large margin. The Generals hosted the all star game and lost 7-2 before a packed house. The only Greyhound to make the team was pitcher Johnny Herr. Union City was in fifth place at 25-25. As July began Branch Rickey engineered a switch of managers sending Martin to Cooleemee, North Carolina, and bringing Fred Hawn to the Greyhounds. He said it should put new life into both teams. For a while he was right.

Hawn, a 14 year veteran in professional ball, was an instant hit in Union City, even though he replaced one of the most popular managers to hold the job. In six weeks he had the Greyhounds in second place with a record of 49-44. The club held a "Freddie Hawn Night", and had 1200 cheering fans turnout for a 3-1 victory over the Fulton Tigers. Then a slump ensued, including nine losses in a row. The Greyhounds fell to fifth and out of the playoffs. Other players joining the team included Westy Basso, an outfielder, and Bob Maren, a pitcher who had been with the Greyhounds in 1940. The most outstanding play came from a group of pitchers. Herr won 17 games and had a one-hitter, to go with an all-around good year. Somerer was 13-8 with a no-hitter in September against Bowling Green, and a one-hitter earlier in the year. Bukkelund was 15-11 with a one-hitter and several shutouts. Bob Maren and Del Yount also turned in stellar performances. Even out of the playoffs the Union City fans came out for the final game of the season drawing 2500.

The final standings had Jackson 84-43, Hopkinsville 69-57, Fulton 68-59, Mayfield 64-63, Union City 62-64, Owensboro 58-68, Bowling Green 55-71, and Paducah 46-81. Jackson pitcher Carl Gaisa won a record 26 games. He was closely followed by Jess Webb with 25. Ellis Kinder returned to Jackson during the season and won several key games. His contract was sold once again to a major league team following the regular season. In the playoffs, Mayfield beat Jackson three games to one, and Fulton lost to Hopkinsville, 3-2. Mayfield went on to beat Hopkinsville four games to one to win the 1941 league championship.

In a league meeting held in Fulton on November 23, 1941, plans were made for all eight teams to return for the 1942 season. Peace was re-elected president, and it was announced that the league had drawn 12,000 more fans in 1941 than the previous year. Union City drew 29,000 for the second highest paid attendance.